First Class Honours degree and depressed

There are some worldly wise folk on this site, so, some views would be welcome. I've a son with a very good degree in Oceanography from a good UK uni. It was a very numerical/mathematical degree. He tells me his degree is of no use and there are no jobs. He thinking of 1. spending a fortune on a Masters or 2. re training as a carpenter. But he's not just a numbers geek, he is very creative and has made some good short videos, helped with surf clothing logos, designs etc and great with photoshop etc.

I'm struggling to come up with useful advice other than he needs to look much further afield than the UK and widen his search. And I think its better to get into some employment in a sector that has a future and then do additional training whilst employed.

I know its tough out there but would be grateful for any pointers.

Finally, I read his CV and wouldn't have recognised him as my son. But he's had 'advice' on this, so, thats what he has gone with....

Thanks

Edit: Didn't know where to post this, so, its here

Harold just thought i'd pipe up and say having faced a similar choice a "few" years back, personally I decided "life" experience was more important to me than further learning.

My 2:1 honours(i know thicko) was from a reasonable uni, but the only reason I toyed with the idea of an M.A was purely to delay making a career choice. So I opted for the travel/work route, having already spent a fair time abroad. Can't say whether it was the right or wrong thing to do, but it opened my eyes and I really enjoyed all that followed including a variety of jobs, before the career choice.

My father incidentally told me a few useful tips like emergency contacts, what to do when short of money, but otherwise left me to it. For which I remain eternally grateful to him, as I was forced to stand and fall my own decisions.

There are some worldly wise folk on this site, so, some views would be welcome. I've a son with a very good degree in Oceanography from a good UK uni. It was a very numerical/mathematical degree. He tells me his degree is of no use and there are no jobs. He thinking of 1. spending a fortune on a Masters or 2. re training as a carpenter. But he's not just a numbers geek, he is very creative and has made some good short videos, helped with surf clothing logos, designs etc and great with photoshop etc.

I'm struggling to come up with useful advice other than he needs to look much further afield than the UK and widen his search. And I think its better to get into some employment in a sector that has a future and then do additional training whilst employed.

I know its tough out there but would be grateful for any pointers.

Finally, I read his CV and wouldn't have recognised him as my son. But he's had 'advice' on this, so, thats what he has gone with....

Thanks

Edit: Didn't know where to post this, so, its here

Without stating the obvious, how about applying to ocean power energy companies? Apply directly; he may have to relocate to get work.

Also learn a language (like mandarin, russian, or brazilian.) That will open up alot of doors too and far more useful than an MA or MSc IMHO.

May I ask what experience he has of sea-faring?

Has he had any experience working with the RNLI for example or perhaps Royal Navy? Perhaps if he didn't want the military service he could volunteer for the local RNLI or as an instructor for the MSSC.

I only ask as one of my relatives is employed as an oceanographer (though I admit I don't know by whom or for what purpose) but walked into a job after qualifying based just as much on his experience as his qualification from his involvement with the above.

Learn a language. Russian would be good because thats a base for the other slavic languages. Or Spanish.

Travel. Most graduates in the world are stuggling for work.

Try different things. Why not train as a carpenter. It takes 6 months and he can work anywhere in world. Train as a boat builder, mechanic. All useful on a small boat.

I only ask as one of my relatives is employed as an oceanographer (though I admit I don't know by whom or for what purpose)

Just to add that I checked and he's actually employed by the University of Southampton National Oceanography Centre.

Archived