#21 id5

id5

Millennium man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (underling @ Mar 6 2010, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... non MCS accredited crew (though their professional qualifiations still give them the right to take on the job) ...

The rise in the UK of the guilds continues, history repeats, and the cycles continue...

The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent. - John Maynard Keynes

I must remember that investing is a marathon and not a sprint!

#22 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (underling @ Mar 6 2010, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can if you wish try and get a current comparative estimate on hot water solar installed by a non MCS accredited crew (though their professional qualifiations still give them the right to take on the job) and possibly non-mcs hardware if you can furnish me with your requirement. It'll take me a little bit of work (which I by no means mind putting the work in to do, though I'll have to fit it around my work schedule which currently seems to be getting fuller by the day) if it'll help you ascertain whether or not you are being quoted a fair rate and to ensure you're not being ragged.

If there's any way I can help my spare time is free to you.

Thankyou for your generosity.

Requested 2 quotes for P.V roof mounted systems electrical systems, trying to decide who to go to for a solar water system, which I know will be cheapest option to install, but my understanding and knowledge is weakest in that respect. It will be interesting to see how responsive they are in light of demand etc.

Being unsure whether it is what I want to do right now, i'll P.M you if it looks appealing, as I do not want to waste your time; incidentally i'm not exactly south facing, so it will be interesting whether they "look" for the sale or provide an honest assessment.

As for getting a fair rate, i'm a frustrated buyer (read hard work customer) since most of the time I sit the other side of the desk laugh.gif

n.b Waiting for a response on that "declining" rebate tariff.

Never stop questioning - Einstein

When you blame others you give up your power to change - Douglas Noel Adams

Beware of MOOD HOOVERS they have a mission.

#23 underling

underling

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

If you're UK based there's a exhibition/seminar in Manchester called GreenbuildEXPO where you may get to see and speak to manufacturers direct and includes some seminars and debates regarding green-tech that may interest people here. Link here.

It seems to be promoted quite well in the trade magazines.

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

#24 underling

underling

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (Silent reader @ Mar 3 2010, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was recently at a local event where I asked the MD of one of the manufacturers of a Solar panel (PV) about the payback for customers had been decided, and he said that that there is a clause in the rebate tariff where a payment will decline by 7% on a year-by-year basis (this was said to me after his presentation with not to many people around, and where feeding his face at the buffet)

I have no actual evidence of this, it is just hear say - he may well be talking out of his backside - I've not done to much research on this as I’m not in a position to purchase this technology just yet.

Found this today ..............

http://www.newenergy...ing-review.html

As reports suggest details of the UK government’s Green Investment Bank may be left out of its spending review to be released tomorrow, there is added uncertainty as to whether the feed-in tariff (FIT) for small-scale renewable energy generation will remain.

The FIT for renewable energy and low carbon projects up to 5MW was introduced in April and was set to guarantee rates paid for the power produced for a period of 20 to 25 years.

Since its introduction, the number of microgeneration projects being constructed in the UK has shot up, with more than 4,000 individual projects approved for the subsidy in its first six months.

Nicholas Doyle, project developer at housing authority Places for People, predicts the FIT will be slashed.

‘I would put money on the FIT being cut,’ he said at a solar power conference on Monday. ‘I think it is going to be cut hard and I think it is going to be cut fast.’

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

#25 lupercal

lupercal

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

My brother has been selling this for a while now and finding that the 5% return does not interest many people.

• There are very few people with any money in the bank.
  • Those who do have the money, realise that it means locking the money up for a long time so are put off.
  • Many people think the solar thermal will follow the example of computing and electrical equipment and become much cheap. a la Plasma screen TVs.
  • They are waiting for Tesco/ (B and Q) to enter the market.
  • Offering finance helps a lot but negates the benefits.
  • People having agreed to buy , look around and find a cheaper product.
  • No sense of urgency about price rises.

The thing is the future isn't something that's rammed down our throats. The future is a choice. The human race is six or seven billion odd people each of which is making choices every day. You add up all those choices and that's the direction of humanity. Each of us has fairly small voices, but you add up a lot of small voices and you get big voices.
James Gosling Coder.

#26 richardab1967

richardab1967

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:13 PM

Been looking at this myself and I have still to find the catch. Obviously it only works for people in the right situation but if you are a homeowner, with a roof, got some cash sitting in a bank in GBP earning a few % interest then is it not a no brainer.

My initial reaction was that the Feed in tarrif (FIT) programme would be an obvious slash and burn in the October spending review, but it wasn't touched. It wasn't touched because its not paid for by the government, but by us all through our energy bills and is required to meet targets that we have agreed to.

The FIT payments and export payments for solar PV are tax free and go up annually with RPI, they are "guaranteed" for 25yrs but are tiered down so that the starting figures drop in 2012 and then drop again and again as I guess they assume the renewables market will be more mature and competitive as it grows, but this does mean that if you get in now before 2012 you can get the maximum starting payment (£0.41 /kwh generated whether you use it or not, this compares to approx £0.10/kwh that your supplier charges you to use it) plus an export payment of £0.03/kwh for the energy that you don't use. I think when people refer to the FIT being cut this is a cut in the starting rate which has been set out and won't effect you if you install before april 2012.

In the spirit of not keeping all my eggs in one basket I ran some hypothetical numbers on solar PV and I thought it looked very promising, yes I have heavily insulated my house already, yes I have DIY fitted solar thermal, yes I have some gold and yes I have some basic investments, but not being a natural trader this appeals as an insulation against future energy prices and a way of spending cash that was earning little on something that generates money and elec. Has anyone else looked into it in more detail and found the catch.

#27 ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

It is a good idea to give a 5% return on solar panels but it is a better idea to just cut off the tax on environmental items like energy saving light bulbs, environment friendly detergent and the like. Because these items, unlike the solar panel which is often used by those who have their own house or the landlords, is used by more people in any level of the society.

#28 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (richardab1967 @ Nov 29 2010, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the spirit of not keeping all my eggs in one basket I ran some hypothetical numbers on solar PV and I thought it looked very promising, yes I have heavily insulated my house already, yes I have DIY fitted solar thermal, yes I have some gold and yes I have some basic investments, but not being a natural trader this appeals as an insulation against future energy prices and a way of spending cash that was earning little on something that generates money and elec. Has anyone else looked into it in more detail and found the catch.

Bump ........spent several hours with a solar company today. What amazed me most was my host claiming the near 25% drop in panel prices over the last 6 months! Apparently the German companies are driving down prices, as they look for a new market and the U.K is it!

The other snippet that I found interesting was despite an increased number of electrical contractor's getting involved, my host who is MCS acredited, claimed he wouldn't want to touch any private job, unless he could make at least £4k. Lost as to how to gauge that as he didn't really explain over what size of job. Just showed me lots of different manufacturer's panels in a swish showroom.

Underling if those costs keep coming down might just get round to knocking on your door laugh.gif
Never stop questioning - Einstein

When you blame others you give up your power to change - Douglas Noel Adams

Beware of MOOD HOOVERS they have a mission.

#29 underling

underling

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:56 PM

Nicholas Doyle, project developer at housing authority Places for People, predicts the FIT will be slashed.

‘I would put money on the FIT being cut,’ he said at a solar power conference on Monday. ‘I think it is going to be cut hard and I think it is going to be cut fast.’<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bump.

And as if by magic .............

http://www.energyeff.../policy/i/4599/

UK Climate Change and Energy Minister Greg Barker today confirmed that the government will slash feed-in tariffs (FITs) for solar power by more than half.

He said that the proposals to cut the tariff for solar installations up to 4 kW in size from 43.3p/kWh to 21p/kWh would keep the FIT scheme’s budget under control and put the industry on a firmer footing.

There will also be reduced tariffs for schemes of between 4 kWh and 250 kWh, while from April next year any property applying for a FIT will have to meet a minimum energy efficiency requirement.

“The plummeting costs of solar mean we’ve got no option but to act so that we stay within budget and not threaten the whole viability of the FITs scheme,” Barker said in a statement this morning. “Although I fully realise that adjusting to the new lower tariffs will be a big challenge for many firms, it won’t come as a surprise.”

Never saw that coming ........ :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users