GEI's MISSION : Global Edge Investors / Green Energy Investors

Technical Analysis / Pattern Analysis ain't my bag. In science an understanding of cause and effect are neccessary for a respected hypothesis, technical analysis seems to go and against this principle.

I'm sure it works for you, onsome occassions. However, the only way I would ever think your(or anyones) "pattern analysis" techniques were reliable was if you collated all the results you had ever got and compared them to those same trades where the buy/sell was chosen at random.

Well, okay.

You can use YOUR scientific method.

Here's mine: Does it make money (consistently) or not? That is my test.

And the experiment is being conducted every day, using my own money.

So far, after over 10 years with no other source of income, the experiment has been successful.

That PROVES all that needs to be proven, as far as I am concerned.

Some things that I experiment with, I drop. Others, I embrace, after they have proven themselves by making money.

Many of the patterns that I use here, have worked well over many years. Others I am still testing.

The beauty of my system is that I make a good living, while "running experiments", and learning from the markets,

and my own research. I share it freely here, because it costs me little (just some time) to do that, and - so far -

I do not need to charge, to make a livelihood, since my trading (normally) provides that. I also learn from others

here, and get many good trading ideas and information in return. And, frankly, I feel better when I share something

with others. Else, this can be a very solitary occupation.

• 1 month later...
HPC does "get the message out" in its own way.

It is a bit like using a bullhorn at the corner of a crowded street.

GEI is more like a chat in a quiet pub.

Good analogy - I would agree with that! :)

- said Traktion, in agreement

• 2 years later...

From the Trading-or-Gambling thread,

This goes to the Core Mission of GEI:

This attitude still puzzles me...

"...if you feel non traders are not welcome to take pot shots at your strategies, then we will get lost."

Do people really think I set up and run this website so people can "take pot shots at my strategies"?

Perhaps he did not mean it quite the way it sounds, but it does make me think: Life is short. Why bother with this?

I appreciate the posts and sense spoke here by many, but still wonder why we have this large handful here who seem to have move beyond constructive discussion and debate, to a posting style that seems destructive.

The idea I have for this website is MUTUAL PROBLEM SOLVING:

By working together we can develop a better understanding of the markets (and the world too!) and develop some effective coping strategies which may be better than those pushed in the mainstream.

Building wealth through precious metals is now an important part of that, but managing the inherent price risk can make this even better.

If you are here for some other reason, like taking potshots at people who have done better, and are trying to freely share their expertise, then maybe you are on the wrong website. There are plenty of websites (HPC comes to mind), where taking potshots at successful folk are an ingrained part of the culture. But not here, if you please.

("Chat, trade, and invest your way to a Brighter and Greener Future.")

About Disciplined Intelligent Speculation from the Trading/Gambling thread: Post#62

As I said gambler, or speculator whats the difference?

Answer = None = same thought process = same exposure to market movement = different execution platform = same result!

Regards ML

It is NOT the same process.

+ When you "Gamble", you are just betting, ie testing your luck.

+ When you make an "Intelligent Speculation", you have done your homework first, analyzing things like: a company's fundamentals, the technical position of its stock price, and volume flowing in, or out of its stock. And you intend to manage the position (using stops, or other disciplines) once the trade is in place.

+ "Intelligent hedging", is yet another thing, where you aim to hold onto an investment position or longer term trade, but reduce the inherent price risk, through options structures, or arbitrage trades. (These "hedges" can be simple or complicated.)

Sadly, I think some here do not understand what work is needed to make an intelligent speculation, and so they disrespect it, and consider it akin to gambling. Here's a key point: Just because an outcome is not certain, and you are taking some probability risk on the outcome, it does not mean you are gambling.

Perhaps this analogy with help:

+ If you go to Vegas and bet on a slot machine, you are gambling,

+ If you are the house and own the slot machines, you are taking a calculated risk spread over many slot machines, where you have a high expectation of making a positive return after a large number of your customers gambling transactions

If the odds are in you favor, and you are relying on the rules of the game (and your homework to improve youyr probability of gaining a profit), you have moved beyond a mere Gamble which relies upon pure chance.

In other words, a net positive return over a large number of transactions is an indication you have moved beyond gambling. I hope the following statement "rings true" to many here and shows more clearly what I mean:

"I thought I was making Intelligent Speculations, but after a dozen transactions I realised I was Just Gambling."

For someone who makes a statement like that, they need to rethink their trading methods and improve their technique in selecting trades, doing a better form of "homework" before trading, and/or managing the trades better once they are in place. One of the important missions of GEI is to help in this learning and refining process. (As it says in the logo, GEI's core mission is to help people: "Chat, trade, and invest your way to a Brighter and Greener Future.")

• 1 year later...

Open-Mindedness / This should also be an essential part of GEI's Mission:

Open-Mindedness is Part of GEI's Mission

I don't think you begin to understand the challenge in running an Open-Minded website

...such as I see GEI's mission.

I want to create space for people to present non-mainstream ideas here, rather than quickly shutting down debate,

or immediately shifting topics to the Fringe section. CMJ posts many controversial ideas here, but he/she does not

like defending them, and usually backs off when challenged. A controversial idea needs a defender, and I am

a little tired of being the main person thrust in that role.

I also sometimes like to ask relevant questions, or play the skeptic too.

EXAMPLE:

Please see The Neil Keenan thread for a link to where I did this on someone else's website.

That is one of the reasons that I was calling for a "Mad Scientst" to help in waking people up to fresh thinking.

I think you are capable of understanding that a non-mainstream idea will never even get looked at seriously unless

someone is willing to present a summary of the idea, and then defend it to those who will inevitably come forward

to question it.

Perhaps if you were running a website, you would understand this idea better. Goldfinger and some of the posters

in his immediate "orbit" came to GEI because HPC would not allow them a proper forum to present their ideas on

the value of Gold in wealth preservation. (I understood the problem, because the same "forces of darkness" had

questioned many of my posts there.) GEI was happy to provide an open minded forum for them to discuss their

ideas.

But when they tried to turn GEI into a CULT OF INDOCTRINATED GOLD BUGS, they were going too far,

And after many months of awkward confrontations, I had to remind them whose website GEI is, to preserve an

open-minded debate here. Some will mourn the loss of those posters, but it was they who chose to leave, showing

a certain amount of prima-donna-like peeve IMHO. But I think you will have to admit that the awkward confrontations

that their presence represented was not good for the health of this website.

/source- The "Mad Scientist" thread : http://www.greenener...pic=17095&st=80

• 4 weeks later...

In 2013, perhaps we can embrace an expanded and renewed Mission

seeddb2.jpg : READ MORE about this concept in a new Fringe thread

• 4 months later...

EXCERPT from a thread in the Fringe Section:

MV5BMjA5MDgxOTI1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTkxNjk5._V1_SY317_CR7,0,214,317_.jpg

GEI's MISSION ?

Part of it is:

"Seek the Truth, with an open mind, and be willing to 'turn over some strange-looking rocks' in pursuit of it."

BTW, the Mission is NOT to serve those who mostly lurk here, AND ONLY POST when they want to criticise some of the material presented here. GEI is not a site designed to catch flack from posters like that. If you want to have a "positive" impact on the material here, then I suggest you start threads on subjects that interest you, and post on the threads you like. Then you will see the material expand in that area you like to read about.

• 3 months later...

GEI's MISSION : Global Edge Investors / Green Energy Investors

HOW WE ARE DESCRIBED on web indices: (Jan.2009)

=================

GEI forum for investors concerned about rising energy prices, inflation, and the impact on their investments. Discuss issues, companies, and ideas with other successful investors, globally

And in the Alexa Reports :

-----

(I will be changing the TEXT in a new Header - Comments welcome):
GEI MIssion
(1)
Green Energy Investors is a Forum for investors concerned about rising energy prices, inflation, and the impact on their investments. Discuss issues, companies, and ideas with other successful investors, globally
(2)
Part of it is:
"Seek the Truth, with an open mind, and be willing to 'turn over some strange-looking rocks' in pursuit of it."
(3)
????

GEI's MIssion
(1)
Green Energy Investors is a Forum for investors concerned about rising energy prices, inflation, and the impact on their investments. Discuss issues, companies, and ideas with other successful investors, globally
(2)
Part of it is:
(3)
????
====
Previously used - Descriptions of GEI
GEI is a chatboard with a focus on Alternative Energy, sustainability, peak oil, and preserving wealth through alternatives to Fiat currencies. GEI also has Fringe Section where we discuss more controversial topics.
Description: GEI forum for investors concerned about rising energy prices, inflation, and the impact on their investments. Discuss issues, companies, and ideas with other successful investors, globally.

Keywords: green, energy, global, edge, investors, renewables, alternative energy, alt-energy, alt-e, peak oil, chat, message board, renewable energy stocks, energy stocks, alternative energy stocks, gold stocks, mining stocks, solar stocks, oil stocks, renewable energy, frisby, cycle, charts, stocks, wind, solar, biomass, electricity storage, electricity, mining, uranium, drbubb, dr bubb, commoditywatchradio, Green Power, stock market research, property crash, four year cycle, independent research, investing, individual investor, private investor, GreenEnergyInvestors, global-edge, GlobalEnergyInvestors

• 1 year later...

(GEI's Mission - as I Wrote some years ago - before creating the Acore section):

GEI MIssion
(1)
(2)
Part of it is:
. . .
(Acore adds):
. . .

The Awakening Core (Acore), is for those who are:

"Awake and aware, and using full discernment of both Heart and Head" to understand the truth of the world and how it works

• 5 months later...