Green party elected locally - what can I do as an expat?

Hi I woke up today to find that the green party has been elected locally in my village.

This is I think a response to the right-wing government making cuts and the recently ousted left wing government being in the pocket of property developers and putting high rises on vineyards.

Politicians here are immune to prosecution so tend to get a little carried away when in office and dealing with money and contracts.

The green party seem different, they are all nearly from the village, The main thrust of their green program seems to be providing for children and stopping property development. Im not sure how its going to be paid for though.

Having got permission to build my place, this is something I support strongly. I'm aware its a bit hypocritical.

I'm wondering if any other expats have worked with the green parties in their areas.

What was the reaction towards transition town and locally produced food initiatives. It seems something that is popular in the UK but here people are very impressed with Tesco. Who to be honest have a fantastic business selling goods at UK prices to people who earn 1/3 the wage but previously had to pay much more.

Is it better to let them do there stuff and stick to helping family and friends.

What was the reaction towards transition town and locally produced food initiatives. It seems something that is popular in the UK but here people are very impressed with Tesco. Who to be honest have a fantastic business selling goods at UK prices to people who earn 1/3 the wage but previously had to pay much more.

It really isn't though Lupercal. Though some of the posters here discuss the issue don't for one moment be under any mis-apprehension that the UK public are all out there getting green fingers etc. I would guess that less than 1% of the UK as a whole have such things on their mind. 99.9% of the population celebrate when a new 'Superstore' is opened locally and their shopping bill drops by x% as a result.

Hi I woke up today to find that the green party has been elected locally in my village.

The green party seem different, they are all nearly from the village, The main thrust of their green program seems to be providing for children and stopping property development. Im not sure how its going to be paid for though.

Having got permission to build my place, this is something I support strongly. I'm aware its a bit hypocritical.

Is it better to let them do there stuff and stick to helping family and friends.

Are you concerned that your home will be 're-zoned' or some kind of similar injunction by them?

Possibly because you are not a Slovak?

I can't remember your circumstances. You're married to a Slovak woman aren't you?

If so, and you trust her implicitly then you may consider putting the house in her name.

So there can be no objections etc.

Good Luck.

Are you concerned that your home will be 're-zoned' or some kind of similar injunction by them?

Possibly because you are not a Slovak?

I can't remember your circumstances. You're married to a Slovak woman aren't you?

If so, and you trust her implicitly then you may consider putting the house in her name.

So there can be no objections etc.

Good Luck.

Thanks. Rezoning is not a problem. Yes I trust her. I was wondering if anyone had experience of a green party locally.

Its interesting to me that such a part has been elected.

It really isn't though Lupercal. Though some of the posters here discuss the issue don't for one moment be under any mis-apprehension that the UK public are all out there getting green fingers etc. I would guess that less than 1% of the UK as a whole have such things on their mind. 99.9% of the population celebrate when a new 'Superstore' is opened locally and their shopping bill drops by x% as a result.

In my experience most people moan about it, sign a few petitions then shop there anyway. And still moan about it.

Back in UK, Sainsburys built on the local cricket ground which was land given under covenant to be used for recreation in perpetuity. It's still busy there though.

• 4 months later...

How is it working out - after six months or so?

How is it working out - after six months or so?

It's difficult to say. The vineyards are not being pulled up to build flats but that might be due to the end of the housing boom. Property is x10 income now and only the really poor property has dropped in price. People cant buy but want to. It's easier to control the market opinion when many don't speak English or German so are less exposed to alternative view points.

I've not heard of any changes in policy as such but many of the public works contracts are going out to tender again. They generally go to friends of the ruling political party.EU regulations should stop some of this in EU funded programs but its an uphill battle with the people in power expecting to benefit from the money and theres no real public interest in changing it. A real fear of organised crime too. It's expected they are involved on most big deals. Why be a whistle blower, lose your job and risk mafia threats. Also politicians are immune from prosecution so wont suffer if caught.

I can't see how political party can change any of this.

Archived