74 replies to this topic

#61 wednesday2

wednesday2

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:04 AM

I wonder if that's why my solar stock has been tanking....trying to decide whether to sell now, wait for this possible stock market crash, and buy up later. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

QUOTE (Ologhai Jones @ Jun 30 2008, 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Citing Need for Assessments, U.S. Freezes Solar Energy Projects

Article in New York Times.

#62 bakachu

bakachu

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:29 PM

Solar Energy Creating Economic Boom for Nevada

http://cleantechnica...oom-for-nevada/

This makes my 'spider sense' tingle.. the thought of having the excellent use for all that desert finally realised, should be very interesting to see how quickly this one evolves!

#63 bakachu

bakachu

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

Hawaii First State to Require Solar Water Heaters

http://www.ecogeek.o...tent/view/1830/

Nothing like a bit of legislation to get the wheels in motion

#64 Ologhai Jones

Ologhai Jones

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (Ologhai Jones @ Jun 30 2008, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Citing Need for Assessments, U.S. Freezes Solar Energy Projects

Further developments:

U.S. Lifts Moratorium on New Solar Projects

Under increasing public pressure over its decision to temporarily halt all new solar development on public land, the Bureau of Land Management said Wednesday that it was lifting the freeze, barely a month after it was put into effect.

#65 Ologhai Jones

Ologhai Jones

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:06 PM

Organic dye lets window panes harvest the Sun

Harvesting sunlight before turning it into electricity could become easier thanks to an exotic organic dye developed in the US.

Coated onto an ordinary sheet of glass, the dye traps light inside the glass allowing it to be channelled to photovoltaic cells placed along the edges of the sheet.

Article on New Scientist's website.

#66 S60R

S60R

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (DrBubb @ Sep 10 2006, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thermal solar is great,
but suffers from being somewhat boring, and in need of alot of messy plumbing

It is not as boring as one might think.

Terresol Energy is commisioning a plant this year: http://www.torresole..._gemasolar.html

It is nice looking, fairly compact and generates a sufficient power output to take care of 30,000 households.

I presume it's fairly easy and relatively easy to build one of those plants: 1 sq mile of land, 2500 flat mirrors with stepper motors, trivial small steam power generation plant and isulated tanks for molten salt.
As far as the plumbing is concerned then it will be nothing in comparison to the one used in conventional coal-fired power plants.

#67 S60R

S60R

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (DrBubb @ Jan 24 2007, 07:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ENERGY USE:
2050: 28 kerawatts
2006: 10 kerawatts
differ: 18 kerawatts, to be found

(But that need assumes current living standards and rising population,
if the world goes to US living, it is 102 kerawatts, 90 needed- that's impossible)

Possible sources:
crops...: 7 kerawatts, if we stop growing food, and grow only energy
nuclear: 8 kerawatts from 8,000 new plants (1 giga-each)
wind....: 2 kerawatts from windpower covering all the land surface

The real answer, long term:
The Sun: 800 kerawatts on land mass

I agree entirely, the Earth receives 60,000 times the amount of energy that mankind needs, and therefore it seems as the main power generation option for the future.

I have had a look at the graphs and indicies for the most of the solar energy related companies mentioned in this thread. All of them seem to be grossly oversold at present.
I would not hesitate to invest in them only if I knew that they are not out of business in a year time. Either the short time investments or long time is very tempting.
Dr Bubb, what are your thoughts on this?

I have noticed from the other threads that you are keeping your eye on possibility of re-investing into the semiconductor sector. Although some people are rather sceptical about this sector due to the downturn in auto and electronic industries, I think I now understand that you look at the role that semiconductor industry is going to play in PV solar generation in future. Am I correct in my understanding?

S60R

#68 S60R

S60R

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE (S60R @ Mar 8 2009, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would not hesitate to invest in them only if I knew that they are not out of business in a year time. Either the short time investments or long time is very tempting.
Dr Bubb, what are your thoughts on this?

That was a very very good day for my 'green' selection. Very good indeed..

Canadian Solar UP 9.0%
Energy Conversion Devices UP 12.6%
Evergreen Solar UP 21.0%
Sunpower UP 15.3%
Suntech Power Holdings UP 21.3%
General Electric UP 19.7%

with the mean rise of 16.5%

I have no illusion that these stocks will be falling much quicker than the oil&gas-related stocks once this rally is over

#69 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (S60R @ Mar 11 2009, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Canadian Solar UP 9.0%
Evergreen Solar UP 21.0%
Sunpower UP 15.3%

I have no illusion that these stocks will be falling much quicker than the oil&gas-related stocks once this rally is over

Then again, Chinese whispers and all that wink.gif

http://www.greentech...idies-5964.html
Never stop questioning - Einstein

When you blame others you give up your power to change - Douglas Noel Adams

Beware of MOOD HOOVERS they have a mission.

#70 John Doe

John Doe

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

UK tariff due late this year/ early next year, with a set price for solar generated power fed back into the grid from households.

Waiting for the pullback to add to my first solar
"Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride..." Bill Hicks

Just as I start getting my head together, my body starts falling apart (anon).

#71 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (John Doe @ Apr 5 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
UK tariff due late this year/ early next year, with a set price for solar generated power fed back into the grid from households.

Waiting for the pullback to add to my first solar

Yes and i'm waiting for costs to fall, before installing my system.
Never stop questioning - Einstein

When you blame others you give up your power to change - Douglas Noel Adams

Beware of MOOD HOOVERS they have a mission.

#72 John Doe

John Doe

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (riggerbeautz @ Apr 5 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes and i'm waiting for costs to fall, before installing my system.
Me too, housing costs first, then when I have bought me, Mrs D and little D our future home, we will install, solar biggrin.gif

Will go for passive and CdTe PV. (First Solar about to start selling to public).

"Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride..." Bill Hicks

Just as I start getting my head together, my body starts falling apart (anon).

#73 ycl1227

ycl1227

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE (DrBubb @ Apr 3 2006, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Prices... update ...................................................... : SOLAR- 3 key stocks /Aug.14 : update : ESLR, STP, SIT.L : 3 Solar Shs
Solar cell prices are rising because of the shortage of silicon feedstocks (i believe)

STOCKS include : Q-Cells Ag, SunPower Corp., and Suntech Power Holdings Co., Ltd.,

Opportunity : WHERE is the Sun strong enough...

WHERE is the technology employed
The seven world leaders in solar energy production include Japan, Switzerland, Germany, Australia, USA, Canada and the United Kingdom. The percentage of the total world solar production from these seven countries and other facts are shown in the table below.

Country- - - MW.total Hr.Sun/yr Elec/kWhr w/cap %world
Japan........ 301-2001 1200-1600 : 24cents : 2.4 : 45%
Switzerland. 15-2000 - - 1700 - - : 12cents : 2.1 : - ? -
Germany... 170-2001 1700-1800 : 15cents : 2.0 :. 6%
Australia..... 29-2000 2500-3000. : 4 cents : 1.5 : - ? -
U.S.A. ..... 139-2000 2000-2500. : 8 cents : 0.5 : 27%
Canada........ 7-2000 1500-2500. : 4 cents : .22 : - 0 -
U.K. ............ 2-2000 1500-1700 : 12 cents: .03 : 0.75%

The map above divides the world into four daily solar radiation zones based on daily hours of sunlight and temperature. The amount of available sunlight varies across the globe. The areas with the most hours of daily sunlight are found near the equator.
= = =

Solar Technologies
Photovoltaics (PV)
Photovoltaic solar cells, which directly convert sunlight into electricity, are made of semiconducting materials. The simplest cells power watches and calculators and the like, while more complex systems can light houses and provide power to the electric grid.

Passive Solar Heating, Cooling and Daylighting
Buildings designed for passive solar and daylighting incorporate design features such as large south-facing windows and building materials that absorb and slowly release the sun's heat. No mechanical means are employed in passive solar heating. Incorporating passive solar designs can reduce heating bills as much as 50 percent. Passive solar designs can also include natural ventilation for cooling.

Concentrating Solar Power
Concentrating solar power technologies use reflective materials such as mirrors to concentrate the sun's energy. This concentrated heat energy is then converted into electricity.

Solar Hot Water and Space Heating and Cooling
Solar hot water heaters use the sun to heat either water or a heat-transfer fluid in collectors. A typical system will reduce the need for conventional water heating by about two-thirds. High-temperature solar water heaters can provide energy-efficient hot water and hot water heat for large commercial and industrial facilities.

Issues
Solar Resources
Solar resource information provides data on how much solar energy is available to a collector and how it might vary from month to month, year to year, and location to location. Collecting this information requires a national network of solar radiation monitoring sites.

Solar Access
The availability or access to unobstructed sunlight for use both in passive solar designs and active systems is protected by zoning laws and ordinances in many communities.

Green Power
Consumer demand for clean renewable energy and the deregulation of the utilities industry have spurred growth in green power—solar, wind, geothermal steam, biomass, and small-scale hydroelectric sources of power. Small commercial solar power plants have begun serving some energy markets.

@: http://www.eere.ener...v/RE/solar.html

= = = = =
LINKS:
Solar Buzz website..... : http://www.solarbuzz.com/
Solar Plaza news........ : http://www.solarplaz...ontent/news.php
Evergreen's Link page : http://academic.ever...az/petersj.html

Steps on applying Chinese Eximbank financing for your green enegery proejcts, including solar, wind and other power plants project against sovereign guarantee. http://www.china-pow...nt-finance.html

#74 OneHundred

OneHundred

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE (S60R @ Mar 11 2009, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Canadian Solar UP 9.0%
Evergreen Solar UP 21.0%
Sunpower UP 15.3%

any further updates?/

#75 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,703 posts
  • Interests:Trading and investing in stocks and commodities. Writing articles on related subjects, while building this website. I am interested in creating ways for communities

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:41 AM

Beijing plans subsidised prices for solar projects

+ Mainland is largest producer of PV components, with 98%, but mainly for export
+ Subsidy to be paid by fund, collected from all electricity users
The market is "bipolar", swinging back and forth from a focus on Inflation to Deflation. Bet on swings; and stay flexible. What are bipolar markets? See: http://tinyurl.com/GEI-Manix

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users