179 replies to this topic

#41 underling

underling

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

I do have a link to a thread on another forum where one or two posters are quite experienced in producing home produced Cider and offer some very good advice throughout the thread. The forum is down at the moment as new servers are being introduced but I'll post a link here once it's back up should anyone think it may be useful. In addition there's also advice on how to produce sparkling cider and advice on choosing which varieties are best for flavour (Katy are apparently quite satisfactory)

This site may well provide some useful advice on home brewing for the smaller interests. I recommend the 'diesel' cider.

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

#42 underling

underling

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

There's another thread regarding the BBC's programming schedule and how 'Gold' has been focused upon. Seems it's not the only thing the BBC is highlighting ...............

http://www.bbc.co.uk...Food_Episode_1/

(apologies to those who can't view)

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

#43 Silent reader

Silent reader

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Growing stuff

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (lowrentyieldmakessense(honest @ May 27 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
got them last week

very nervous at first but now more confident - the hens that is not me

getting three eggs a day from three chickens

How are those Chickens working out for you? I hope everything is still going well.

QUOTE (InternationalRockSuperstar @ Aug 11 2009, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
any luck?

all mine have either 2 or 3 cobs this year; I'd say about 2.75 on average.

Ok, here goes..........

Sweetcorn ended up being a total disaster, I only really got to eat around 5 or 6 good cobs, the chickens had the rest. I've no idea what went wrong but I can only think that I didn't give them enough water.

Chard did very well..... just didn't really get on with the taste.

Courgettes, I must of had over 200 no. by now..... and they are STILL going.

Cucumbers were ok..... not to many problems, reasonable yield

Tomatoes..... BIG problems. got hit bad by BLIGHT, looks like I should have given them a spray with a copper based fungiside, still ...... lessons learned.

Strawberries, only had the one flush but got some quality berries of them.... got loads of "runners" for next years plants. Currently nursing around 25 - 30 in the greenhouse to go in the ground fairly soon for next years crop.

Runner Beans, still going..... but really "stringy" this year ????

Leeks are still growing..... look like they're a little behind at the moment.

Beetroot did well..... need to grow more of this next year.

Carrots were ok in the tub..... but i did have to many in there so were there for very small, i'll not put as much seed in there next year

Potatoes ...... harrumph........ bad location.

Lettuces did OK.... had some nice ones.

Red onions...... got a little bit off them..... need to focus more heavly on these for next year

Got a few apples of the tree...... but not ripe yet so I cant really comment about these yet.

Eggs are still flowing...... getting around 4-5 per day.

Built a "table" out side the front gate a few days back, also planning on extending it...... this is going to be my son's "little shop front" and I'll let the neighbour use it as well. He'll buy items of me (obviously at a vastly reduced price), and he can mark up and sell them. hopefully it'll give him a basis to start learning on how to trade.

About to get ready for the big dig over.... I've still got problems with some weeds that keep springing up. the Chicken coup has also been extended.

Also got loads of rat holes around the veg patch, Jimi (My Golden retriever) has been helping out..... he's actually got a few...... but there are many holes.

Didn't get around to building the apple press, there's a lot more to it than I was expecting, so I've shelved this idea until next year.

smile.gif

Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? ..................... That's what it is to be a slave.

We all have one thing in common… everyone dies, but not everyone gets to live. REVEL in your time !

#44 lowrentyieldmakessense(honest!)

lowrentyieldmakessense(honest!)

Millennium man

• trial
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Silent reader @ Oct 3 2009, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How are those Chickens working out for you? I hope everything is still going well.

down to around 2 or less per day due to shorter days

not got much done re veg this year been too busy trying to get money in at work and new business

as well as absorbing as much info as poss regarding the economic problems and likely consequences

discovered fruit tree greease so that should improve the apple and pear tree growth next year - ants were harvesting an abundance of aphids this spring/summer
"You have to choose, as a voter, between trusting to the national stability of gold and the natural stability and intelligence of governments. I advise you, as long as the capitalist system lasts, to vote for gold."

George Bernard Shaw

The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight of hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin . . . . Bankers own the earth. Take it away from them but leave them the power to create money, and, with a flick of a pen, they will create enough money to buy it back again. . . . Take this great power away from them and all great fortunes like mine will disappear, for then this would be a better and happier world to live in. . . . But, if you want to continue to be the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let bankers continue to create money and control credit.

Sir Josiah Stamp, director of the Bank of England and the second richest man in Britain in the 1920s

#45 InternationalRockSuperstar

InternationalRockSuperstar

Millennium man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:36 PM

well I'm glad I didn't bother planting a winter crop; it would have been ruined by this weather!

#46 Silent reader

Silent reader

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (InternationalRockSuperstar @ Jan 14 2010, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well I'm glad I didn't bother planting a winter crop; it would have been ruined by this weather!

I think you'll be surprised how hardy some vegetable varieties are, I've still got leeks in the ground and I've been pulling them up as required, although to be fair it's a bit of an effort to pull them up when the ground is frozen.

I'm just gutted that my Sprouts and broccoli failed at the beginning of last year, both are hardy and I would have been be harvesting them about now as well.

March/April is really the only "Lean" period in the calender, but right now....... I'm currently planning my next years crop wink.gif
Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? ..................... That's what it is to be a slave.

We all have one thing in common… everyone dies, but not everyone gets to live. REVEL in your time !

#47 VictorBroom

VictorBroom

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything apart from shit music.

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (Cuthbert Calculus @ May 31 2009, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We always have foexes around so I am wary about letting them run free during the day.

I had some chickens in my Mum and Dad's back garden when I was young. Rural location, I grew up on our farm.

How has everybody here got their chicken wire for them to go outside? I used to pin the bottom of the wire into the ground. Perhaps have the wire too long at the bottom and pin six inches or so horizontal with the ground, if you see what I mean. Foxes did get in on one occasion, so I then buried the bottom of the wire in the ground. Seemed to work ok.

You do have to keep checking the wire though. Foxes may come back every night/day to have a go. As soon as they can make a small gap it won't be long until it's game over.

VB
Go against the flow.

BitCoin - 1NiVysmnKfGFEWN3M1USRHJSLVpEjTuU8L

#48 Silent reader

Silent reader

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

Victor,

My problem is the total oposite really, it's the hight of the chicken wire thats of more consern to me really, I recently "lost" a chicken as she decided to fly over, and my golden retriever didn't really appreciate the "invasion" of his area and delt with her in a simular fashon to how he deals with rabbits.

Location of the Chicken coup requires a bit of thought in my opinion. I have a caged area with the coup inside the cage and this is on a raised area of the front garden, both cage and coup are located outside of the main run area, the chicken move in between as they so desire.

Think Helm's deep in Lord or the Rings wink.gif

I've also got some concrete slabs/heavy branches around the bottom of the chicken wire around the run to prevent them from tunnelling out as well.

If you've got a dog walking past it everyday...... it WILL keep foxes at bay, and I STRONGLY recommend doing this if possible.

#49 VictorBroom

VictorBroom

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Silent reader @ Jan 16 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Victor,

My problem is the total oposite really, it's the hight of the chicken wire thats of more consern to me really, I recently "lost" a chicken as she decided to fly over, and my golden retriever didn't really appreciate the "invasion" of his area and delt with her in a simular fashon to how he deals with rabbits.

Have you thought about getting one of their wings 'clipped'.

http://www.addisonou...eping_Hens.html
Chicken Wing Clipping

We found out that in order to keep them within your garden you need to clip just one wing on each bird. Be careful though - only clip the primary feathers. Do not clip down too far as you will hit blood vessels which can lead the the chicken bleeding to death. Seek advice from a VET or professional if in doubt. Our chickens wings were successfully clipped they and now no longer escape.

I have no experience of this but it might be worth looking into.

VB
Go against the flow.

#50 Silent reader

Silent reader

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (VictorBroom @ Jan 19 2010, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you thought about getting one of their wings 'clipped'.

Yep, the place I got my Chicken from were kind enough to give them a clip for me, it's more from the point of view of not building the sourounding fence high enough in the first place, magnified but the facts that I wanted to be as thrifty as posible and just use what materials I had available or could source as cheeply as posible, and I must say a touch of Lazyness on my part as I still haven't rectified it. A poor show on my part sad.gif

Thanks for the link smile.gif

#51 VictorBroom

VictorBroom

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (Silent reader @ Jan 19 2010, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
source as cheeply as posible

I would suggest agricultural supplies as apposed to diy/pet stores.

http://www.mcveighpa...p;productId=243 - for example.

Good luck.

Go against the flow.

#52 underling

underling

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

Thought I'd post this here .........

Spent a rather sleepy Sunday watching old episodes of 'Out of Town', a program that my Grandfather watched regularly. Although the episode's are now 30 years old it gives a fascinating insight into the change that the age of oil has had upon everything from hand tools to the importance of geographical location in the UK. The presenter Jack Hargreaves (RIP) had an incredible depth of knowledge and told great stories of the everyday lives of the ancestors which we have become detached from through time.

Here's a part of one episode where he tells of 'Market Day' ...............

#53 Silent reader

Silent reader

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (underling @ Jan 31 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thought I'd post this here .........

Nice video, obviously I never watched anything like this when I was a kid. It's funny how I now find videos like these interesting, I must be getting old - lol

yet I do see a comparison between the "open junk market" and the rise in "boot sales" around my area.

#54 Silent reader

Silent reader

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

Ok, Here is an update and current planting list for 2010

Down to 3 Chickens at the moment, lost another one in mysterious circumstances about a week or so ago (MIA) presumed dead. Quite sad for me personally, “little red” as she was known was my best layer.

Anyway, I’m still getting 3 eggs a day and they have been very reliable through the winter. I'll be looking at "restocking" sometime around Easter.

Have purchased my seeds for the year from my local (independent) garden centre, I could bore you with a slightly funny story about an extremely attractive lady who was serving both myself and my Mrs when she started talking about the "French Trio" (Three crops on one patch, Sweet Corn, Runner been and a squash) and my Mrs eyeballing me and watching my squirm as I so desperately wanted to twist it into an innuendo.

When I got home I had a quick look on the internet and I couldn’t find much about it...... hmmmmm laugh.gif

Planting list for 2010

Runner Bean - Polestar
Pea - Hurst Green Shaft
Sweet Corn - Passion

Potato - Mais Bard (First Early)
Potato - King Edward (Main Crop)
Beetroot - Bolthardy
Tomato - Gardeners Delight (Small Tomatoes)
Tomato - Tigerella (Fancied a change this year)

Cucumber - Socrates
Courgette - Soleil
Courgette - Romanesco
Aubergine - Black Beauty
Squash - Butternut
Chillies/Peppers - Antohi Romanian (Sweet), Golden Bell (Sweet), Friggitello (Sweet), Jalapeno (Hot), Hungarian Hot Wax (Hot) Red Cherry (Hot)

Broccoli - (Spouting) Early Purple
Brussels Sprout - Evesham Special
Cabbage - Hispi
Carrot - Amsterdam 3 (Sprint)
Parsnip - Gladiator

Spinach - Perpetual Spinach
Rocket - Wild Grazia
Lettuce - Little Gem

Leek - Mussleburgh
Onion - Stuttgarter Giant

Also found a packet of Cauliflower Seeds from a couple of years back..... so i'll try and get these germinated as well.

I'll also be trying some "sprouting seeds" for the first time - These can be grown on into "Micro greens" but I’ll be whacking these into a stir fry.

Alfalfa
Broccoli
Mung Bean

Total spend on seeds/bulbs/tubers = £55.00 approx

Also have about 25no Strawberry plants from the runners of last years 3 or 4 strawberry plants.

Last year I got caught out by an unexpected frost.... this year however I'm thinking mid/late march as the Summers seem to be getting "longer" however, I’m tempted to try a solar planting method to see if there’s any fact in it.

http://www.gardening...com/phases.html

Updates as they occur

#55 Silent reader

Silent reader

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:18 PM

This seems to be a better link regarding Lunar Planting

http://www.the-garde...on_Planting.asp

I still don't understand it yet....... but I think it'll be worth a try.

#56 Silent reader

Silent reader

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

A quick update,

So far had some fantastic germinations nearly everything sown in trays and in "peat pots" germinated and I've started getting things in the ground. I'm about 4 weeks behind at the moment due to this prolonged cold winter so I’ve been (possibly) overcautious.

Still got the Brassicas to sow, this will be done this week.

The strawberry plants in the green house however are going like the clappers, and i'm really looking forward to the first taste of summer.

Chickens are still productive. I got a new home coming soon for them which will also allow me some expansion so hopefully I might even get up to a dozen birds in there smile.gif

Just as an open question to anyone reading this thread, if I were to purchase a 25kg sack of potatoes and offer payment in eggs, how many eggs would equal a "fair deal?" I've already got a figure in mind but I'd love to get a second opinion.

#57 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (Silent reader @ May 16 2010, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just as an open question to anyone reading this thread, if I were to purchase a 25kg sack of potatoes and offer payment in eggs, how many eggs would equal a "fair deal?" I've already got a figure in mind but I'd love to get a second opinion.

Great thread, some you just miss. Can't believe fruit tree grease, what a find.

My guess would be around 30, based on paying £5 for farm sack wilja's and £1ish for x6 free range locally.
Never stop questioning - Einstein

When you blame others you give up your power to change - Douglas Noel Adams

Beware of MOOD HOOVERS they have a mission.

#58 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (lowrentyieldmakessense(honest @ Oct 17 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
discovered fruit tree greease so that should improve the apple and pear tree growth next year - ants were harvesting an abundance of aphids this spring/summer

Just googled that, I get inundated with ants, may i ask any brand recommendation please? Anyone?
Never stop questioning - Einstein

When you blame others you give up your power to change - Douglas Noel Adams

Beware of MOOD HOOVERS they have a mission.

#59 Silent reader

Silent reader

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (riggerbeautz @ May 17 2010, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great thread, some you just miss. Can't believe fruit tree grease, what a find.

My guess would be around 30, based on paying £5 for farm sack wilja's and £1ish for x6 free range locally.

Thanks for that, much obliged smile.gif

I'm currently thinking of offering a barter agreement with a chap I know who supplies potatoes, and initially thought of offering up 18 eggs for a sack but I suppose that is a bit cheep from my end so I think I’ll offer up 2 dozen/24no eggs for a 25kg sack of Maris Pipers.

Actually....... looking at that, 1 egg = 1kg of Potatoes. (or there abouts.) Not sure if that's going to work for any "double yokers" though.

£1ish for six eggs, I personally was thinking £1.50 there’s a whiff of inflation about you know wink.gif

#60 Silent reader

Silent reader

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (riggerbeautz @ May 17 2010, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
............... any brand recommendation please? Anyone?

Not used it myself as my trees are still far to small. Best suggestion I can think of is to ask someone at a well established independant Garden center, I find they are normally very helpfull.

Just been looking through the RHS "Bible" and found the following - Grease Banding. Bio Boltac Greasebands; Vitax Corry's Fruit Tree Grease.

Also says (but this is for use mainly on lawns and shrubs so i'm not sue this is a good approach for application to Fruit trees) but it says the following........

Control, Ants are ofter abundant and impossible to eleminate; as far as possible thier presence should be tolerated, if the problem is severe, water plants with HCH or pirimiphos-methyl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users