Survival Kit

Guys, thanks for adding all that info. It'll save me searching for stuff. I just have to get round to doing more :rolleyes:

id5, that water purifier looks very good. I just have to see if I can get it here easily. The postage cost/time is a bit of a pain down here in the middle of nowhere.

Edit:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's available in lots of local stores B) B)

http://www.ampro.co.nz/products/MSR/watert..._filtration.htm

eg for Christchurch: http://www.ampro.co.nz/wheretobuy/locations/56.htm

Excellent :D

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That must be this one (or equivalent):

http://www.bicomnet.com/community/disaster.html

That's the beast. Another thing to remember (like the adverts on NZ tv say) is that you might be at work when disaster strikes so it's a good idea to have a meeting point (or two) to find family if you are all in different places. Local Civil defence HQ is a good one as there should be safety in numbers and at least there should be some level of organisation / knowledge on what to do.

I don't just supply the news. I get it. ;)

That's the beast. Another thing to remember (like the adverts on NZ tv say) is that you might be at work when disaster strikes so it's a good idea to have a meeting point (or two) to find family if you are all in different places. Local Civil defence HQ is a good one as there should be safety in numbers and at least there should be some level of organisation / knowledge on what to do.

I don't just supply the news. I get it. ;)

I don't know what your Local Civil defence is like but I bet the ones in the UK are so like Dad's Army :lol:

I don't know what your Local Civil defence is like but I bet the ones in the UK are so like Dad's Army :lol:

I'm afraid you have it right. It is a bit like a rest home but they mean well. It does at least open ones eyes to the level of help that will be coming from them (i.e. tactical rather than physical). It is a good way of doing a bit for the community though, the more 'youngsters' they can get the better they will be able to deal with things ;)

my tip for easy survival in an easy to carry box is ebay.

type uk army 24hr ration packs x 10

they come 10 24hr packs to a box.

has EVERYTHING foor wise aside from water, but you do get water tablets.

buy 3 10x packs. this should keep you going in any crisis.

add to that battery recharger & batteries. water. clockwork radio. torches. a gun.

my tip for easy survival in an easy to carry box is ebay.

type uk army 24hr ration packs x 10

they come 10 24hr packs to a box.

has EVERYTHING foor wise aside from water, but you do get water tablets.

buy 3 10x packs. this should keep you going in any crisis.

add to that battery recharger & batteries. water. clockwork radio. torches. a gun.

Reminds me of the quote from Crocodile Dundee "Well, you can live on it, but it taste like shit." :lol:

Make sure that you get the high energy rat pack and not the standard one as it tastes marginally better. You will also want a pack of laxatives for afterwards, they are very high in protein and bung you up quite a bit!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One other thing to add to the kit is health. When the fight comes (and it is guaranteed to come) you need to be at peak physical and mental fitness to handle it. Now the fight may be financial Armageddon, earthquake or cancer but at some point in all of our lives we are going to have to be physically ready to kick butt.

You might find you have to go for long periods on low nutrition, or have to walk for basic supplies, or it might even be something as simple as reducing the symptoms of the flu (lets hope you don't actually need to beat your neighbours to death for his chocolate stash).

So all in all, get off your ass, right now, and go for a run!

One other thing to add to the kit is health. When the fight comes (and it is guaranteed to come) you need to be at peak physical and mental fitness to handle it. Now the fight may be financial Armageddon, earthquake or cancer but at some point in all of our lives we are going to have to be physically ready to kick butt.

You might find you have to go for long periods on low nutrition, or have to walk for basic supplies, or it might even be something as simple as reducing the symptoms of the flu (lets hope you don't actually need to beat your neighbours to death for his chocolate stash).

So all in all, get off your ass, right now, and go for a run!

Strangely if the problem is influenza then you do not want to be fit.

Fit people normally have a healthier immune system that fights influenza to its utmost. Influenza predominantly kills people between the ages of 15 and 35 leaving the old, middle aged and the young with only the symptoms of a very heavy cold. The healthy immune system floods the lungs with fluids to fight the virus inadvertently causing drowning.

You might be better having a beer and a pie, adding a few inches to your waist to help you survive short term food deprivation and providing a store of fuel if you have to make a long march. Also if you are bigger and you might find it easier to beat up your neighbour for his chocolate stash :lol:

Strangely if the problem is influenza then you do not want to be fit.

Fit people normally have a healthier immune system that fights influenza to its utmost. Influenza predominantly kills people between the ages of 15 and 35 leaving the old, middle aged and the young with only the symptoms of a very heavy cold. The healthy immune system floods the lungs with fluids to fight the virus inadvertently causing drowning.

You might be better having a beer and a pie, adding a few inches to your waist to help you survive short term food deprivation and providing a store of fuel if you have to make a long march. Also if you are bigger and you might find it easier to beat up your neighbour for his chocolate stash :lol:

You learn something every day :-) I just looked up a bit more on the 'flu (know thy enemy) and it seems that it usually is most deadly to the very young and elderly but the Spanish flu also took out the young adults, Wiki says:

The unusually severe disease killed between 2 and 20% of those infected, as opposed to the more usual flu epidemic mortality rate of 0.1%.[16][21] Another unusual feature of this pandemic was that it mostly killed young adults, with 99% of pandemic influenza deaths occurring in people under 65, and more than half in young adults 20 to 40 years old.[22] This is unusual since influenza is normally most deadly to the very young (under age 2) and the very old (over age 70). The total mortality of the 1918–1919 pandemic is not known, but it is estimated that 2.5% to 5% of the world's population was killed. As many as 25 million may have been killed in the first 25 weeks

Wow, that is the equivalent of the entire population of NZ dying in a week! But very interesting about the health aspects, I like your point on more pies and beer. I'd float better in a Tsunami, be protected from hypothermia and would merely need to land on my neighbour rather than fight him. Excellent!

and start growing a beard and don't bother with razors in your survival kit. You don't want to be the only clean shaven survivor walking about - the others will twig you've got a stash of stuff.

A razor blade might be useful in your first aid kit though.

Don't forget a sewing kit and disinfectant. Useful for stitching yourself up in event of an accident / assault.

Baby wipes are an excellent alternative if you can't have a bath. I use them at festivals.

edit: typing

Naw! no need for all the survival equipment in my case,

or storing food..tins etc..

Plenty of fresh meat about where i live..Humans,Sheep,Cows,Pigs,Chickens, deer and crops in farmers fields.

I already have the shotgun/crossbow/knifes/stun-gun/machete to complete the above survival kit.. :)

Also got gold/silver to pay of court officials, judges & police. B)

So today I decided that it was time to get fully prepared. I had got a few bits put aside but it was starting to feel that a couple of weeks of supplies might not be enough. So I grabed a wodge of emergency cash, did a $300 spend in 'pac n save and now have a good month or two's food and water, 2 LPG cylinders for the BBQ, tarps, ropes, wind up radio, waterproof torch, medical kit and 40 litres of unleaded. Of course I already had the physical in the vault :-)

If armageddon could hold off till I get a multifuel stove on my way through the US then that would be appreciated.

Now the only other thing to think of is whether I get my gun licence or not. Don't really want to shoot anything more alive than paper targets but if I get that hungry, it might be useful to have a .22 nearby...

Now the only other thing to think of is whether I get my gun licence or not. Don't really want to shoot anything more alive than paper targets but if I get that hungry, it might be useful to have a .22 nearby...

.22 is good for rabbit and rodent but a .410 shotgun is better and if the neighbours get too uppity take the choke off and fire solid shot at them, very effective at 30 metres.

But if the country that you live in allows full bore rifle or pistol then get both.

.22 is good for rabbit and rodent but a .410 shotgun is better and if the neighbours get too uppity take the choke off and fire solid shot at them, very effective at 30 metres.

But if the country that you live in allows full bore rifle or pistol then get both.

I think full bore is fine but pistols mean you have to belong to a piston club and have your house inspected for security. No great hurdles at least!

I think full bore is fine but pistols mean you have to belong to a piston club and have your house inspected for security. No great hurdles at least!

It is a hurdle in the UK, ownership of pistol and full bore is heavly restricited, so much that the UK Olympic shooting team can no longer train in their own country. yet murder by firearms has increased. What a really effective knee-jerk law enacted by idiots that live in a bubble.

It is a hurdle in the UK, ownership of pistol and full bore is heavly restricited, so much that the UK Olympic shooting team can no longer train in their own country. yet murder by firearms has increased. What a really effective knee-jerk law enacted by idiots that live in a bubble.

Yeah, 10 or so years ago in the UK (might be 15!) I started target shooting at uni but once I left thing became progressivly more restrictive (to the law abiding gun owners) so I gave up. Picked it up again since I arrived here and although quite rusty its really good fun. I'm not at all interested in hunting but targets deserve all they get :)

Archived