179 replies to this topic

#161 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

Here's an update you may ...... Or maybe have not expected.

Think I'll visit Ibiza :)

Best regards

SR

Ditto Mabon. Sad to hear your tale in part.

Hey if you really want to party with the lads try Puerto Banus, price (used to) largely excludes union jack/football shirt rent a mob; but the party scene is fun, if you want that sort of warm weather thing ;)
Never stop questioning - Einstein

When you blame others you give up your power to change - Douglas Noel Adams

Beware of MOOD HOOVERS they have a mission.

#162 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

Finally some beans have started to grow - 3 strands in the middle set (the other 2 are no show).

Strawberries growing again - I do nothing to them they just sort themselves out.

My courgettes in a bucket refuse to grow.

I'm gonna have to rake over and deweed my bed again as nothing planted so far.

This weekend though is mow, how, plant n sow.

Good Luck all.

Have flowers on the strawbs but need to weed big time this weekend and get the nets ready.

Broad beans inch or two out of the ground. Lettuce seeds coming through, but not all seeds took, though have mastered growing them in stages of raised bed now. Beet's need to thin out and plant from trays.

No show of any buds from few kidney beans, may have gone too soon in frost :( Will do 2nd batch this weekend.

#163 Silent reader

Silent reader

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Growing stuff

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

Mabon, riggerz I appreciate the comments, I have very much enjoyed this thread and I thank you for your suggestions on places to visit.

It has to be Ibiza, just has to be, plot up in the "quiet side" and do a few "missions" into the other side, got to do this while I'm still young ( erm...*cough*..... Lol) enough, we'll see. Either this year or next I need to get it "off the bucket list" and to be fair Carl cox doesn't play many other places now days.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, and hopefully in the future I'll contribute and update again with a planting list :)

Actually thinking about my initial question when I started this thread, is six chickens and a draw hoe a better investment.?

Well.......... I'd say that it was, it didn't cost much other than a bit of labour, and my returns were fantastic.

Very best regards
Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? ..................... That's what it is to be a slave.

We all have one thing in commonů everyone dies, but not everyone gets to live. REVEL in your time !

#164 Mabon

Mabon

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Interests:Running The Thrifty Millionaire service. Wine Wimmin and Song - Scriptwriting and Directing Film and Television - Creating How To Products - Ling Lom, Muay Thai/ Silat/ Jiu Jitsu - Lugging bits of iron, belting things - Anthopology, The Environment, fisticuffs and cudgeling - Tinto Brass - A Better Tomorrow. http://forms.aweber.com/form/87/1268764287.htm

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

Just goes to show if you let your garden do the work the abundance is excellent.

Case in point I'm deluged with strawberries in the bottom-left corner.

A year or so ago there were maybe 10 plants. Now they've taken over, probably 50 plants.

Am able to have fresh bowl everyday...and to think they laughed at my plan to corner the world strawberry market!!

Got some beans now too - took ages to pop. But now am shooting up them canes quickstyle.

Also the big 'orga' pot that was full of salad bits - american cress etc has seeded part of my 'bed'.

And I now have lots of fresh salad growing there which is great.

Small-time stuff but always a lovely bonus.

Also the ladybirds ate all the aphids that were sapping the life out of my beetroot 'tree' (I let it grow wild and now it's a 5 footer).

Some potatoes doing their own thing too. Possibly get 30 pound of spuds for zero effort.

Very little effort applied to the rest of it for quite considerable reward.

Good Luck.
"Are You Ready to Discover Your Escape Plan?"

Join me in my No B.S Quest to become Truly Wealthy. Sign Up Below to receive your Free weekly "Thrifty Millionaire" emailer and Free Entrepreneurial, Info-Biz Secrets and Savvy Investment etc Reports, ongoing...
My link

#165 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

Case in point I'm deluged with strawberries in the bottom-left corner.

Am able to have fresh bowl everyday...and to think they laughed at my plan to corner the world strawberry market!!

Got news for you, you've got competition in the Midlands :lol:

Likewise and generally have enough for 4 servings daily for the last week and a bit, I'm so deluged I've lost count!

As a negative my beans seem to have been munched and the lettuce is poorer than last year, the wet weather may have been a factor on the lettuce? Still growing and hoping for the best now.

Loads of Beets coming through, sticking Leeks in and Raspberries running amok too for a decent yield later on.

Concentrating on what I did best with last year, but I am definately selling off some strawb plants, they need a massive thin out once they've cropped. Plus I'm going to change colour if I keep eating this many :D

#166 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

Was going so well with the Srawbs, then last few weeks had to chuck around a third due to all the wet weather, seriously mouldy :( Least it cut back the portions, now for yhe thin out!

Beets coming through better, Broad beans tastier than last year, think I got them up sooner, not as stringy. Kidney Beans next up, but Lettuce seeds were poor, think the damp must have got in them? Bit unsure really.

Back on soft fruits Raspberries and Gooseberries coming on fast for cropping this week, few of the Blueberry bushes were sparse, think the frost had a few, so need replacing. Not so many Apples either. Overall not so bad, but need to improve.

#167 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

Beets coming through better, Broad beans tastier than last year, think I got them up sooner, not as stringy. Kidney Beans next up, but Lettuce seeds were poor, think the damp must have got in them? Bit unsure really.

Back on soft fruits Raspberries and Gooseberries coming on fast for cropping this week, few of the Blueberry bushes were sparse, think the frost had a few, so need replacing. Not so many Apples either. Overall not so bad, but need to improve.

Update Beets on a roll still, Kidney Beans great and Raspberries..WOW..Inundated, never seen such a heavy crop, must love the damp soil more than the Strawbs did. Everynight for weeks, having to freeze for muffin experiments later :lol:

#168 Mabon

Mabon

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Interests:Running The Thrifty Millionaire service. Wine Wimmin and Song - Scriptwriting and Directing Film and Television - Creating How To Products - Ling Lom, Muay Thai/ Silat/ Jiu Jitsu - Lugging bits of iron, belting things - Anthopology, The Environment, fisticuffs and cudgeling - Tinto Brass - A Better Tomorrow. http://forms.aweber.com/form/87/1268764287.htm

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:20 AM

Update Beets on a roll still, Kidney Beans great and Raspberries..WOW..Inundated, never seen such a heavy crop, must love the damp soil more than the Strawbs did. Everynight for weeks, having to freeze for muffin experiments later :lol:

My beans finally came thru in early August. And have been going strong or is that string? Since.

If I wasn't so grateful for the free food I'd have to say I'm all beaned out...Pah Beans Again!

In fact I force them on everyone now - "Here have some beans and have some more beans".

There's no room left in the freezer for all the beans...

I shall plant some over-winter roots too this year.

Join me in my No B.S Quest to become Truly Wealthy. Sign Up Below to receive your Free weekly "Thrifty Millionaire" emailer and Free Entrepreneurial, Info-Biz Secrets and Savvy Investment etc Reports, ongoing...
My link

#169 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

My beans finally came thru in early August. And have been going strong or is that string? Since.

If I wasn't so grateful for the free food I'd have to say I'm all beaned out...Pah Beans Again!

In fact I force them on everyone now - "Here have some beans and have some more beans".

There's no room left in the freezer for all the beans...

I shall plant some over-winter roots too this year.

Thats funny, feel the same about Raspberries, just took the final lot.

Mabon, Leeks some of mine were late starters this year, will they survive an hard winter in the soil for Spring crop? Thought you might have some expertise in these :P

#170 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92,346 posts
  • Interests:Trading and investing in stocks and commodities. Writing articles on related subjects, while building this website. I am interested in creating ways for communities

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

The patch has been fully mothballed just in case I decide to return to it, it's all covered up so the ground will get a good rest.

Seeing the short life cycles of the chickens, the establishing of "pecking order" and how they live has been a fantastic experience for me, it really was like watching an episode of big brother, but the evictions were a little more severe, and of course there was no prize money nor fame for any of the chickens.

The veg patch......... Well I did enjoy doing it, it's hard work but the benefits and the tastes of the produce are so much better than any shit you buy out of the supermarket. Anyway, I'm now confident that I have the skills to produce if I need to. Information and experience like that can not be taken from you.
SR

There's much to learn on the gardening front.
Do you think books like this (below) are any help:
Posted Image
Mini Farming describes a holistic approach to small-area farming that will show you how to produce 85 percent of an average family’s food on just a quarter acre—and earn $10,000 in cash annually while spending less than half the time that an ordinary job would require. Even if you have never been a farmer or a gardener, this book covers everything you need to know to get started: buying and saving seeds, starting seedlings, establishing raised beds, soil fertility practices, composting, dealing with pest and disease problems, crop rotation, farm planning, and much more. Because self-sufficiency is the objective, subjects such as raising backyard chickens and home canning are also covered along with numerous methods for keeping costs down and production high. Materials, tools, and techniques are detailed with photographs, tables, diagrams, and illustrations.
===
/see: http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_b_2
The market is "bipolar", swinging back and forth from a focus on Inflation to Deflation. Bet on swings; and stay flexible. What are bipolar markets? See: http://tinyurl.com/GEI-Manix

#171 Mabon

Mabon

Tri-Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

Thats funny, feel the same about Raspberries, just took the final lot.

Mabon, Leeks some of mine were late starters this year, will they survive an hard winter in the soil for Spring crop? Thought you might have some expertise in these :P

Lol. Well my Dad has planted all his winter roots now.Including Leeks etc.

I still have some beans going strong. Even though the vines have withered and given up the ghost.

Will get these in this week. And be thankful for my bean abundance.

I have some American Cress and other leafs that keeps growing back in my big earthenware pot.

It seems to like its position under the bay tree. And the pot keeps it warm.

This weekend I'll do a bit o digging. And see what I can get planted.

I'll have a rummage in my seed library aka plastic bag in shed.

Could of swapped you beans for raspberries Riggerz

My link

#172 harold bishop

harold bishop

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Last year in the UK was awful for most veg becuase the endless wet weather. Hoping for better results this year. But finally pulled the last of the leeks.

So far, I've planted shallots, garlic, onions sets and early, medium and late spuds. The rest of the plot is still covered with black horticultural sheeting which lets the rain through, warms the soil and stops weed seeds germinating.

The rubarb is romping off now we've had a few warmer days and I reckon in a week I'll get a first crop for the table.

The green house is chock full of sprouting seeds incl cauliflower, courgette, pumpkin, squash, leeks, tomatos, herbs, beetroot, radish, runner and french beans and others. They'll all go in the ground soon.

I have invested in some horticultural fine netting which prevents bird damage, butterfly and other nasty flying bugs but transmits light and water. Also, I bought a very old but very good condition petrol motor tiller for £50 off Gumtree amd it works great !

And finally, the fruit trees are looking full of blossom about to open. Pears, apples, plums, crab apple & a peach. Mostly all planted last year and trained against an 7 foot south facing brick wall I had built last year.

This all sounds a lot but it took a few weekends hard graft earlier in the year and now it should be a case of keeping on top of weeds, which can be done in on fine evenings. If we have a glut I'll buy another freezer but I give some away. If it's another rubbish year we'll still have enough for our selves.

#173 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

Another year on.

My reputation as an ameateur Strawb grower has been even further enhanced, probably because I'm not just giving strawbs away, but plants too as I try to control my patch.

Just when i'd had enough of them, yet another bumper crop of Raspberries that are still coming through, convinced they thrive in damp conditions.

Beets gone well, just never in abundance. Lettuce ok, but now trying a year round variety, not sure on taste, but hey it's lettuce.

Kidney Beans best year ever, think the trick is to keep them well watered. Ditched broad beans, work/reward ratio seemed poor return. Instead more leeks from seed which I'm well pleased with.

May try carrots again. Pondering that.

Hacked up Gooseberries and replaced with Blackberries, just yield more and I prefer the taste. Plus go great in crumbles, with apples or as breakfast filler with raspberries and yoghut mix.

Blueberries were a fail this year, birds got at them, new greenhouse position needed.

Overall good return for a little effort.

#174 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

Bump again.

Yet more white flowers on the Strawb patch, they are just endless. Raspberry canes coming through.

Sowed some Lettuce and Beets. Left rooms for Leeks which came through well into Spring. Kidney beans will go in later.

Stuck blueberries into pots, that can come indoors, as the birds like the taste too much.

Looking to try another veg but cannot decide which would be easiest. All looking good though for decent mini harvest so far.

#175 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92,346 posts
  • Interests:Trading and investing in stocks and commodities. Writing articles on related subjects, while building this website. I am interested in creating ways for communities

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

well done.

I will pick this up on another thread as well:

http://www.greenener...showtopic=16127

The market is "bipolar", swinging back and forth from a focus on Inflation to Deflation. Bet on swings; and stay flexible. What are bipolar markets? See: http://tinyurl.com/GEI-Manix

#176 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

well done.

I will pick this up on another thread as well:
http://www.greenener...showtopic=16127

Just my little bit towards being self sufficient, sadly I no longer have the land access to expand, my in laws sold up most of their land and farm house to a property developer, the offer was just too good.

My bit is almost hobby stuff, it's healthy, costs little money, a bit of time and gives plenty of satisfaction because it tastes great.

#177 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92,346 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

Just my little bit towards being self sufficient, sadly I no longer have the land access to expand, my in laws sold up most of their land and farm house to a property developer, the offer was just too good.

My bit is almost hobby stuff, it's healthy, costs little money, a bit of time and gives plenty of satisfaction because it tastes great.

Must be healthier too.

If you grow it, you control it: Can keep GMO out, and dangerous fertilizers too.

The food we buy at the supermarket is increasingly "weaponized"

#178 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:04 AM

Bump again

Success this year has once again been with the fruit, or rather Strawbs, I now have an ego boosting reputation as a top notch Strawberry grower, friends and family take "shoots" off me to cultivate their own little crops. Another tremendous yield for me as were the Raspberries now on about my 6th week of daily desert for the family; once again the damp weather seems to help.

Veg well the lettuce was ok, beets hmm so so, likewise Beans, tasted great but maybe not lasted that long. Going to stick some Leeks in today as last years lasted well into Winter and Spring even.

Just wish I had more space and time.

#179 DrBubb

DrBubb

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Super Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92,346 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:02 AM

Well done, Rigger,

I love strawberries,  Can you grow cherries too?

#180 riggerbeautz

riggerbeautz

Tri-Millennium Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

Well done, Rigger,
I love strawberries,  Can you grow cherries too?

Thanks. Yes cherry trees are dead easy, there is a problem however and it goes tweet,tweet. Afraid without netting the birds love them, so probably manage to salvage a jar or two, three if very lucky.

Barely worth the effort I'm afraid, but my wife loves them, so I resist the temptation to dig the tree up, just prune it to keep it manageable for now and the starlings tend to go for the sturdy branches, so I always head for the flimsy ones to crop; still end up throwing half away as they have been pecked already!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users