Welcome Back, from "the cooler"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This comment was not aimed at anyone. Although, an easy victim as he's not with us anymore, swampy would have fallen into that category. IMO (almost?) every poster who leaves is a loss, because the diversity makes this place interesting. But people operate on different tolerance levels. Bubb for instance is very tolerant in general.

I bet Px makes a come back when gold hits £900.

This is not a returning post from me - I'm waiting to see how things pan out first before I invest anymore of my time on GEI. I just came across (by chance) a thread on HPC tonight where GOM was trolling and annoying another person (Red Kharma, who I communicate with about trading).

Worth reading the thread to see what a disruptive poster he really is, not just on here. Hopefully the door has been closed on him and fitkid for good and GEI can now move onto better things. A return of this problem in the future and I would probably just walk away next time like many other good posters have done.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...127199&st=0

Thanks to everyone that gave their kind support to me and sorry you had to see the 'other' side of me - it was done with the best intentions to keep the integrity of the site and to try and get rid of disruptive posters. I'm sorry to see some other great posters have left - I feel the process of thrashing-out the problems was not allowed to run it's course and has been halted by overzealous moderation of issues that are un-related to trolling or the initial disruptive behaviour.

But there you go, can't please everyone.

GOM was trolling and annoying another person (Red Kharma, who I communicate with about trading).

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...127199&st=0

IMO, a completely harmless and humorous posts expressing GOM's investment attitude. RK himself has been a pain in my own butt before. So, he is not exactly an innocent victim of humor.

This is all about tolerance. We need to tolerate each others views, but some teasing to encourage debate must be tolerated as well.

...But people operate on different tolerance levels. Bubb for instance is very tolerant in general.

I tolerated GOM because he made me laugh sometimes, and don't think he had a nasty spirit,

just a prickly one. I tolerated Fitkid because I met him - he turned up at the GEI drinks last

September at a time before he had posted much, and he seemed okay - less disruptive than

he is online.

I didn't need to "tolerate" Catflap's postings, I was genuinely interested in reading them.

Those are important differences

CF is welcome to return posting here, as he knows. So it was good to read the comment above.

Which brings me back to the solution (IMO): on their own thread, everyone determines themselves what should be moved.

EDIT: *It's just like that fact that people want their own flats, and not share. E.g., while some think that white tiles in a living room are the best thing since sliced bread, others get a puky-puky crisis just from thinking of it (white tiles in living rooms, I mean).

This is not a solution at all, but individualism taken to an extreme. GEI is a communal public forum. Like any community, it needs a set of rules to exist. Without the enforcement of rules, a community soon falls apart. The rules here [as long as I am a given the task of moderating anyway] are no more complicated than posting constructively, and observing basic manners towards other posters.

There may be an inner contradiction here; some are ideologically opposed to rules... yet they also want to join a community. It is a simple enough choice; insofar as someone wants to engage in a community, they also have to recognise limits to their behaviour. Such limits are already recognised by the vast majority.

I feel that this thread, though made with the best of intentions, was a little premature. Feelings and tempers are still running high from the recent turbulence and the thread has done little more than to create a platform to air prior grievances.

I'm not saying that prior grievances are not an issue, I'm just suggesting that the best place to deal with moderator decisions and board policy would be in the 'about GEI' section.

I would like to emphasise in bold that suspensions should not be used or seen as a form of punishment, they are best used as a form of damage limiter, in the way that a pub land lord might refuse to serve a customer anymore alcohol, it's not the same thing as a bouncer man-handeling the customer out of the pub by force, there is a difference and refusing acknowledge the difference does not mean their is no difference, it just means that you're refusing to acknowledge the difference.

Of course it helps enormously when moderating if we refrain from using schwarzeneeger like lines when applying a ban. Also in reference to the thread title , referring to the ban/suspension as 'the cooler' only compounds the feeling that these moderator tools are used and seen as a punishment.

On the plus side the forum atmosphere has been extremely pleasant and reminiscent of the old days, sure the volume of traffic is down, but the content is of a higher quality with far less noise, and this will slowly encourage other posters to join GEI.

In summary...

1, move this thread to 'about GEI'

2, use, apply and try to see bans as 'damage limiters'

3, discuss and complain about board policy and mod decisions in 'about GEI'

IMO, a completely harmless and humorous posts expressing GOM's investment attitude. RK himself has been a pain in my own butt before. So, he is not exactly an innocent victim of humor.

This is all about tolerance. We need to tolerate each others views, but some teasing to encourage debate must be tolerated as well.

I wasn't going to come back to this and I don't want to open the wounds again if things are healing, but your tolerance as a mod has gone from one extreme of tolerating everything that GOM and fitkid did prior to the Catflap/Harvipark/Wottwotril fight-back to tolerating very little, right down to a 1-day ban for writing s--t (that's how it was written - 2 letters and 2 dashes).... maybe you should get a 1-day ban for writing cr@p in your earlier post today?

Catflap/Harvipark/Wottwotril fight-back was a result of moderation that was not working which is why we took matters into our own hands - it was never about not being able to tolerate other peoples views but about not being able to tolerate the anti-social, disruptive and trolling behaviour that was damaging the site. Swear words don't really enter into the equation, it's just the way some people communicate - often if they are passionate about something or emphasing a point. This isn't a classroom though.

I have never had a problem tolerating others peoples views, but I do have a problem tolerating certain kinds of behaviour. I get on really well with RK and we work together along with 4 or 5 other posters in a respectful way to try and determine what the markets are doing. In fact, I do get on well with most people and tried to get Pixle8r and BigT to stay as they are two very good posters you don't want to lose.

You have to realise trolling for what it is - GOM and fitkid are masters at it and love doing it. They enjoy winding people up and the attention that gets them.

Oh and while I'm still here, I've seen enrieb post but hadn't got around to sending him/her a 'thank you' PM for the kind remarks (so thanks). Once again he/she has articulated himself/herself perfectly, without judgement or taking sides and has a real perception as to the current vibe along with the solutions that are needed.

Enrieb is probably THE best person I've seen on GEI who is most suitable as a moderator - I did see an old thread the other week where there was a vote and enrieb was in there but only got something like 6% of the vote. Probably because he/she keeps a low profile on GEI and doesn't say anything that upsets others so is not so well known - that's just the sort of people you need as mods.

I don't think I'm that suitable as a mod (despite suggestions I should be) because my personality/ego (whatever you like to call it) is too big and too well known to others I think mods should be like the people who work in hospitals for the doctors and nurses doing the admin work - you don't want to burden your creative posters with the job of moderating. Leave that to the kinds of people that are happy to read more and maybe post less - people who are well balanced and impartial and don't cause even a ripple.

One of the problems of late is that the whole moderating thing as become too personal, so a ban should come from the GEI moderating team and it should be agreed by more than one mod, ideally three. If something is stiring then that thread should be moved or locked until the mods can agree a suitable course of action, rather than a single mod taking the action.

Catflap/Harvipark/Wottwotril fight-back was a result of moderation that was not working which is why we took matters into our own hands - it was never about not being able to tolerate other peoples views but about not being able to tolerate the anti-social, disruptive and trolling behaviour that was damaging the site. Swear words don't really enter into the equation, it's just the way some people communicate - often if they are passionate about something or emphasing a point. This isn't a classroom though.

I have never had a problem tolerating others peoples views, but I do have a problem tolerating certain kinds of behaviour. I get on really well with RK and we work together along with 4 or 5 other posters in a respectful way to try and determine what the markets are doing. In fact, I do get on well with most people and tried to get Pixle8r and BigT to stay as they are two very good posters you don't want to lose.

You have to realise trolling for what it is - GOM and fitkid are masters at it and love doing it. They enjoy winding people up and the attention that gets them.

That's true but 'Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you'. Nietzsche

You made a fair point about what is acceptable behaviour and what is not, and you and others pushed the boundaries just as Halcyon said would finally happen were the situation be allowed to play out until its bitter end(if it's ok when they do it, they it's ok when we do it). That was a perfectly acceptable way to make your point at the time, but would you still see it as acceptable behaviour if posters used that method to communicate in ongoing posts that they make. The ambiguous use of edited swear words or mock swear words did warrant a ban, if not it would be acceptable for all posters to use that strategy both trolls and troll-slayers, therefore I would suggest that the ban in those circumstances was justified, but not futile, for it set a precedent, and that should not be held against the moderators. The methods used in warfare, should be left behind when the war is over, for they will not serve an individual well when they attempt to return to a time of peace. If there ever was a war, real or phoney then it appears to be over so we can all now lower our defences and put down our weapons and get back to posting about gold, dollar, sterling, houses, oil, etc..

Thankyou, but I don't want or need to become a moderator, there is no need the mods are doing just fine on GEI, all they need is a little support. Mods should be allowed to take action without being undermined, but general mod-policy should also be accountable and no poster should have more influence than another and we should all have a voice in deciding moderator policy, but it should be done constructively in a suitable forum section like "about GEI' and not in the main discussion or in the gold thread.

One of the problems that emerged over the past 6-12 months is that gripes against moderator/board policy was taking place like a cancer throughout various GEI threads in the main discussion section, with no focal point or genuine attempt at conflict resolution, it just amounted to sounding off in the wrong place at the wrong time, which only polluted threads and distracted from the thread topic. Helping contribute to board policy will allow the moderators to act in the interests of the wider board, constructive board/moderation discussion will take place openly in a relevant forum section, whereas disruptive attacks will hide in other thread topics and be delivered in a passive aggressive manner.

Enrieb is probably THE best person I've seen on GEI who is most suitable as a moderator - I did see an old thread the other week where there was a vote and enrieb was in there but only got something like 6% of the vote. Probably because he/she keeps a low profile on GEI and doesn't say anything that upsets others so is not so well known - that's just the sort of people you need as mods.

An interesting suggestion. I will seriously consider it.

He will be on the top of my list, when GEI adds more Moderators.

Actually, I have been planning to move this thread to "About GEI", and would have done it today.

The above comments were useful, so I will let this run here for at least a few hours longer, before moving it.

I have only one question for him/her, from whence does the name "Enrieb" come?

I find myself miss-spelling it as "Enreib", and if I knew the derivation, I might not do that any more.

I have only one question for him/her, from whence does the name "Enrieb" come?

I find myself miss-spelling it as "Enreib", and if I knew the derivation, I might not do that any more.

It's just my surname spelt backwards Beirne(pronounced "burn") = enrieb. It's not surprising that it is an odd word to spell or pronounce as when written backwards it doesn't follow any grammatical rules. I prefer to say it as 'en-rib'. There was a poster on HPC who also used the same backwards username method called 'browne' with a username 'enworb'.

It used to be a unique name on the internet, which was very useful for creating usernames, but now there are lots of people using enrieb even though they do not appear have 'beirne' (a name of irish origin) as a surname.

Oh and him.

• 2 months later...

welcome GOM

let's see if you can last a long time

Archived