Sylvester has snapped

Just a genral observation: this site is sliding downhill again.

It is because of wind-up merchants - you know who you are - posting deliberately inflammatory stuff and others then taking the bait.

Calling all wind-up merchants, surely you have better, more productive things to do with your time?

Those that take the bait, don't get involved in petty squabbles. Use the ignore or filter buttons. If there's someone who winds you up, just filter them out. Don't sink to their level.

And when you post, think first, am I posting something productive? Something genuine.

If you are just posting something destructive, why bother? Being a wind-up merchant, passive aggressive, sociopath - whatever you want to call it - is not a happy place for your soul to be in. I had a girlfriend who almost destroyed me with it. But she was even unhappier. And she was just bringing everyone else down to her own unhappy level. Rather than trying to rise up herself. So don't do it. You know who you are. Sort yourselves out.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm .............. 100 posts on this thread and yet no nearer to reaching a conclusion. Just a suggestion from a lurker, perhaps some posters need to compromise and show a little tolerance of other peoples positions for the benefit of the site, a site which the majority opinion suggests people value as a source of information and a place where they can discuss ideas. At this point in time the site needs mediation, not moderation.

Here's hoping after another 100 posts you'll be posting pictures of fluffy kittens and giving one another a big old bear hug.

I think this could be a solution for those who easily feel disturbed.

what if we let "thread owners" define who is allowed to post and who not on "their" threads. Mods can then remove posts that are from unwanted posters. The problem is that it could cause a lot of work, but with 1-week suspensions for violations, it should work.

I think this could be a solution for those who easily feel disturbed.

Why not have for example a section for dollar to strengthen and gold to go down for people like Dr Bubb

And a section for gold to go up and dollar to go down for people like you and then have other sections for people who want to discuss this where some standard rules of behaviour are expected to be followed? Rules which are clearly defined

I dont see how calling people sociopaths or trolls helps much. It is inflammatory and does wind people up.

Board behaviour begins with the moderators one way or another.

The board to my way of thinking is sort of confused.

...show a little tolerance of other peoples positions for the benefit of the site, a site which the majority opinion suggests people value as a source of information and a place where they can discuss ideas...

AGREED.

Ignore the posts you don't like - and post something interesting.

Let's IMPROVE the signal-to-noise ratio with good postings, and good new posts here !

Why not have for example a section for dollar to strengthen and gold to go down for people like Dr Bubb

Do you really think I'm going to stay on that side?

I have already added a fair amount of limited risk Gold calls and calls spreads when Gold hit my $1070-1080 target.

We need more sensible people here, who do not see gold ownership as a "religious" issue or test of endurance.

I will leave GEI for good if catflap becomes a mod.

He is not even able to keep his cool when things heat up a bit.

GF,

You put me in an awkward position, since I see you both as highly valued posters here.

I shall send you a PM about this.

By way of an explanation I came originally to GEI for a good read and have recently ended up frustrated with the incessant trolling & thread destruction from the likes of Swampy, Carbon Junkie, GOM and Fitkid. I may not add as much value as some posters here but nevertheless could not stand back and watch Dr Bubbs & others hard work here be destroyed by a small group of what are essentially sociopaths. Hence the DB SA thread to draw some reaction & recognition to the problem from the site owner which failed and secondly, as troll bait...so yes I was a little naughty.

Okay.

Here's what i want to see (after reading this thread):

ZERO or Low tolerance for these four: Swampy, Carbon Junkie, GOM and Fitkid

(I know Swamp is gone)

They are now on a Watch List. And will get 24hour to 1week suspensions, whenever the Mods here choose.

And a bit more leniency for the others that step over the line from time to time.

I will start a new thread - to go into the "ABOUT GEI" section, to see if we need to add anyone to the Watch List

from time to time.

I certainly do not think Catflap belongs on the Watch List

No need to over-react, bigtbigt.

Give it a rest here for a while, if you like. No need to leave.

I dont see you as a problem poster, and I would be surprised if others do.

I think you know I welcome diverse points of view here. The point is for people to stay respectful of those

that they disagree with.

I think we will get there

BTW, I am going to delete the blatant ads for "that other site"

Dear Dr Bubb

I think I owe YOU one final post:

I thank you for creating GEI, and I thank the many posters for their posts, all of which helped me enormously in understanding global economic issues in the 2 year run up to, and then the unfolding of, the credit crunch. It guided me in important decisions which have enabled me to enrich and protect my family financially.

I have stayed with GEI for many years now, and the 'colorful' posts of cds and others of his 'ilk' have been valuable as well as irritating. There is s need for such color, and that is why I never left GEI at those times.

But now, any and all colorful posting is deemed unacceptable by a few over-zealous and power-crazed mods. For example, because I dared to question GF's judgement he considered giving me a a 24hr suspension.

I really hope you understand: my decision to leave is NOT a knee-jerk reaction to any one or more direct exchanges between me and GF. Rather the way he has been 'moderating' (over-controlling!) all issues on all threads has stifled GEI completely. While this site has mods as self-oppinionated, self-important, and power-crazed as GF, this site is not for me.

And if you need more proof of how out of touch he is, note his reaction to my trying to explain the above directly to him when I decided to leave. He simply 'told' me I was over-reacting, rather than question himself and consider whether I might have a point. He is a very dogmatic and inflexible individual, ...not good material for a mod.

To be clear (and defend myself against what I know GF and others may now say)... I am not in favor of anarchy, and some moderation is needed. But it should be for extreme offences only, and run from the background not the foreground!

In short, the mods are now doing more harm to the VITALITY (carefully chosen word!!!!!) of this site than any other poster ever has. It is for this reason that I am stepping away.

Dear Dr Bubb

I think I owe YOU one final post:

I hank you for creating GEI, and I thank the many posters for their posts, all of which helped me enormously in understanding global economic issues in the 2 year run up to, and then the unfolding of, the credit crunch. It guided me in important decisions which have enabled me to enrich and protect my family financially.

I have stayed with GEI for many years now, and the 'colorful' posts of cds and others of his 'ilk' have been valuable as well as irritating. There is s need for such color, and that is why I never left GEI at those times.

But now, any and all colorful posting is deemed unacceptable by a few over-zealous and power-crazed mods. For example, because I dared to question GF's judgement he considered giving me a a 24hr suspension.

I really hope you understand: my decision to leave is NOT a knee-jerk reaction to any one or more direct exchanges between me and GF. Rather the way he has been 'moderating' (over-controlling!) all issues on all threads has stifled GEI completely. While this site has mods as self-oppinionated, self-important, and power-crazed as GF, this site is not for me.

And if you need more prrof of how out of touch he is, note his reaction to my trying to explain the above directly to him when I decided to leave. He simply 'told' me I was over-reacting, rather than question himself and consider whether I might have a point. He is a very dogmatic and inflexible individual, ...not good material for a mod.

To be clear (and defend myself against what I know GF and others may now say)... I am not in favor of anarchy, and some moderation is needed. But it should be for extreme offences only, and run from the background not the foreground!

In short, the mods are now doing more harm to the VITALITY (carefully chosen word!!!!!) of this site than any other poster ever has. It is for this reason that I am stepping away.

BigT,

The posting you have just made is exactly why I want you to stay!

(but maybe rest for a while.)

I am sure that Goldfinger is doing what he thinks is best. I suspect that he is intentionally overdoing it

(IF he is indeed overdoing it), to try to stamp out a certain style of posting (he is even threatening me for

not using more QUOTES!)

That is not my own style. as I think you know. But my own, more lenient, style has not worked as well

as I had hoped. So GEI and its new Mods are experimenting with a more severe form of moderation.

This may or may not work, but I am willing to see it go on a bit longer.

I want to try some new ideas here:

+ A Watch List, where those who are on it get hit with a Zero or Little Tolerance policy,

+ The concept of thread ownership - if I could do it, I would make each person the Moderator

of any thread he starts - Software wise that is not going to happen. But where existing Mods

can move threads around, if they are too idiosyncratic for Main, as an example

WHAT WE NEED NOW :

Is people starting more good threads, and making good posts on them, while...

IGNORING some of the trolling and other issues that have inflamed people while I was in SA.

BTW, I really want to get on with my own research and threads, and stop dealing with these issues !

You might be the first person to leave this forum because you were considered for something.

And if you need more proof of how out of touch he is, note his reaction to my trying to explain the above directly to him when I decided to leave. He simply 'told' me I was over-reacting, rather than question himself and consider whether I might have a point. He is a very dogmatic and inflexible individual, ...not good material for a mod.

I don't have the time to pamper each poster individually. I really do think that you are overreacting. And I hope you see that many other posters want quite the opposite of you: more heavy-handedness. You don't even see that I am more or less on your side with this.

Maybe it is of interest to you that some posters who got suspended their posting abilities by me (for 1 single day!) wrote me a PM afterwards, more or less admitting that they had deserved it.

I have never asked to become a mod. And I am getting rapidly tired of it.

I have never asked to become a mod. And I am getting rapidly tired of it.

I can understand that.

Reading this thread is a trial

Let's get back to posting !

I actually like GF's moderation skills, although I think the conversation with bigtbigt had a few crossed wires, he's normally very tolerant and factually puts people back in their box without resorting to personal comments. bigtbigt I think you just got caught in the cross fire, tollerance is frayed at the moment...

Okay.

(I know Swamp is gone)

They are now on a Watch List. And will get 24hour to 1week suspensions, whenever the Mods here choose.

I haven't said a word have I ??

I haven't posted one reply on this or the others of this 'ilk' purposely to show people that I am certainly not a troll nor am I a 'bad' poster. I have never sworn at anyone privately or publicly, yet catflap swore several times at me & I still didn't respond in kind.

I even asked GF not to suspend wotwotril.......

I think I haven't put a foot out of place have I ? :)

It was like the you were the medium for the spirit of cdswamp for a while... :) I prefer the old and current GOM FWIW.

I haven't posted one reply on this or the others of this 'ilk' purposely to show people that I am certainly not a troll nor am I a 'bad' poster. I have never sworn at anyone privately or publicly, yet catflap swore several times at me & I still didn't respond in kind.

I actually like GF's moderation skills, although I think the conversation with bigtbigt had a few crossed wires, he's normally very tolerant and factually puts people back in their box without resorting to personal comments. bigtbigt I think you just got caught in the cross fire, tollerance is frayed at the moment...

Yes, crossed wires is right. This and other threads show that GF (whist tightening up on moderation) was indeed holding the 'middle ground'. Not an easy path to tread.

GF - i had critisised catflap's 'vote-off', and would do so again whoever posted one; however, it has been pointed out to me that this was a result of pure frustration, so we are all different in our approach under stress. having catflap as a mod would allieviate the pressure on the existing mods i think, but this is not business of mine.

it is a good thing if we are all learning from this for the better of the site in the future

GOM, do you remember this?

There is always a start & an end to everything, how we deal with the early parts of an issue are very, very important. This applies to every area of life, both work & personal.

I have quite often been taken on for my interpersonal & general communication skills in dealing with situations that are either out of hand or perhaps will get out of hand.

the early posts were crucial imo, but also show other posters motives imo.

Looking at how things have been dealt with, escalated & the various options offered by various posters on this forum, is it any wonder TPTB make decisions that we think are unbelievably stupid ?

how many people on here themselves used bad or innapropriate language, made blind decisions or followed a common thought for STS (serve to self) ?

has anyone looked back & thought they made a mistake on a post/thread ? I have definetly made a few mistakes.

Obviously Mr Phillips also made some mistakes in terminology used & content/type of posts etc........when he is much more capable of so much more. Sometime though we probably realise that where the general consensus is 99% against the majority of our thoughts then there will only ever be one outcome.

I have always said that I generally do not get on with people who work in IT, Finance or Finance related areas. I also do not normally get on with managers who are bent on bean counting as their main objective. This will never change because it is one of my most important morals, people must come before monetary gain. Health & family, that's what it's always about, tinged with a certain amount of money to enjoy a reasonable lifestyle.

My time on these virtual forums was also always limited. Cdswamp & I discussed many months ago about not posting again because we need to move in a different direction (especially me obviously).

I thank you all for your time & help & wish none of you any harm (even nicejim although I hope he & others have learnt something about themselves after this), but please re-evaluate your lives & outlook some of you, it really is not all about the money.

fwiw, aliveandkicking.....I genuinly thought/think that you are actually an ok person & in real life we probably have a lot in common. :)

Everything I have ever said on any internet forum has always been the truth, I have never lied.

ps - I will still watch from time to time because some of the posters & information is invaluable, but will never again post under GOM or GOMr on here or hpc. My virtual time as this poster has come to an end now.

Good Luck All & Thank you. :):)

Nick (aka GOM)

And this?

:D :D

I wondered when that would bite me on the ar$e. You got me No6, but it's not really in the same vain as lying though. It's not like me either, because when I say something I always do it.

I am nearly done so don't worry.

I have nothing in common with people whose primary function in life is to make lot's of money. So I was on a loser from the start tbh.

I have always known this to be the case, especially on here as it's a site for investors. I am the square peg in the round hole.

However, there are a few posters on here that could be saved/rescued & have probably done a bit of soul searching themselves lately. There are a few that are likeminded imo but don't like ruffling feathers like I do.......

GOM.

I am not suggesting that you been banned, or suspended at all.

I am just reacting to the many other posts I have read in compiling a Watch List, (an "Elk" list?)

This highlights the problem : I cannot read every post here, and try to be judge and jury.

I have to rely on the skills and discretion of the other Mods.

No6 has some excerpts which shows were the impression that you belong on the Elk List may have come from.

Okay.

(I know Swamp is gone)

And a bit more leniency for the others that step over the line from time to time.

I will start a new thread - to go into the "ABOUT GEI" section, to see if we need to add anyone to the Watch List

from time to time.

I certainly do not think Catflap belongs on the Watch List

Good solid decision, I will try to suggest some other constructive ideas later.

With all due respect, but I think there are more suitable candidates.

Someone was complaining about autocratic mods. Just wait for the rule of catflap. :o

I will leave GEI for good if catflap becomes a mod.

He is not even able to keep his cool when things heat up a bit.

That's rich coming from someone that was one of the biggest trolls on HPC back in the day. You were one of the reasons why the site went downhill because you tried to turn every thread into a gold one when the site was about house prices and the economy.

You were eventually banned from HPC along with Cagno so decided to start posting on GEI - talk about letting the fox look after the chickens. No wonder your moderation of fellow gold posters fitkid and GOM has been lacking - your reference to Swampy in you signature also shows lack of respect to DrBubb after the carnage that guy left.

The same goes to GOM - constant references to Swampy are like giving DrBubb a poke in the eye. You don't do it.

That's rich coming from someone that was one of the biggest trolls on HPC back in the day. You were one of the reasons why the site went downhill because you tried to turn every thread into a gold one when the site was about house prices and the economy.

You were eventually banned from HPC along with Cagno so decided to start posting on GEI - talk about letting the fox look after the chickens. No wonder your moderation of fellow gold posters fitkid and GOM has been lacking - your reference to Swampy in you signature also shows lack of respect to DrBubb after the carnage that guy left.

The same goes to GOM - constant references to Swampy are like giving DrBubb a poke in the eye. You don't do it.

Catflap,

I would make this your last post on this sad matter and leave it on a "high". You have made your points succintly in this, and many other posts, and personally I can't help but feel like you are lowering your own standards. You have massive support here, so you don't need to defend yourself anymore. Rise above it. We agree with you so you don't need to justify anything else.

I think the zero- list is a little one sided. I will have my own zero-list in place as well.

Maybe you can share your candidates on the other thread

The names that I cited come up often, so I was relying on various messages and postings that I have seen about

who is disruptive.

I thought GOM was making an effort, but I have not seen his offending post

Archived